Saturday 23 April 2011

People of your tribe are not welcome in my building!!

When Kenya's economy finally started to pick up, it was characterized by an extraordinary construction boom! The access to credit from the banks and the idle land all over the country got real estate investors absolutely crazy and the seize they the day they did, with buildings mushrooming all over the place. There couldn't possibly be a down side to such a great phenomenon could there? Think again!




I was shocked to learn that some landlords in Nairobi, will actually ask you what your ethnic background is before you can sign a damn lease! Just gets me thinking, are we a country of congenital idiots who did not learn a damn thing during the era that must not be named?

What I found shocking is that this is actually common place in Kenya! If you come from an ethnic background that I do not subscribe to, you cannot live in my building! What the hell!


If you are a tenant who has had the great misfortune of experiencing such prejudice, please share. If you're a landlord who is silly enough to subject your fellow countrymen to such wanton stupidity, do us all a favor and style the hell up!

4 comments:

  1. Love what you have done with the blog.

    I was once interrogated karibu they ask me the name of my chief. It's wrong. Then when I finally came round to saying the acceptable name, was shown the house, promised a paint job and minor repairs. But was warned no male visitors...so I walked away!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's Kenya, for those who don't know. What amazes me is, even those of us who are born and bred in the city have fallen to this village like habit of finding out your second name.
    This habit of categorizing people tribally is just sooooo.... wrong.
    Good article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Han... Yeah, this really is silly! And the whole no male visitors thing...what the hell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @tyvetu glad you like the post. I know what you mean. Drives me totally crazy when I'm asked my ethnic background! Like having the right name makes me human and worth the time of day!

    ReplyDelete