Friday 22 April 2011

The Saturday SoulFest with Chris Okinda! 1300 HRS to 1600 HRS

So when I was asked to do the Soul show on Hot 96 I was ecstatic! This because I was of the very strong (and terribly misguided) opinion that I knew what Soul Music is! Well, that silly notion was rather short lived when my mother listened to my maiden show and almost disowned me. So when next i visited her, she looked at me like some disgusting little creature that should be destroyed quickly!

Since when did Billy Ocean play soul music?' I was asked in a not so fun and happy way. She went on to lament that I like the rest of the people of my generation have no idea what soul music is. At which point, I duly informed her that we knew exactly what it was seeing as we have had prominent Djs like Adrian who have through the years taught us what soul is. I could swear, at that very moment she seriously doubted my sanity. But rather than leave me to wallow in my ignorance, she sat me down and started to tell me about soul music. She told me about the tragic death of one Otis Redding and the resilience of Wison Pickett and the career of Dionne Warwick!

And that is why, if you got some real Heart n Soul, you must tune in to the Saturday Soulfest every Saturday fron 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Come learn something!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris, interesting. I must say I was always just a tiny bit frustrated when Patricia Amira hosted the soul show on capital fm a few years ago. The reason being, we didn't have the same definition of Soul music. Ever since them days I have learnt that indeed Billy Ocean is not considered as a Soul artist and some of the music we Kenyans call Soul actually do qualify to termes disco music from the eighties.

    I feel you

    ReplyDelete